I like to think of myself as being pretty well travelled. Still, there's only so much you can learn about a place by visiting the top ten spots in your Lonely Planet, and this is where being billeted can give you a new perspective on things, or as those stupid furniture ads used to say, to think outside the box. I don't see how suspending a living room off a cliff is thinking outside any box except the one marked 'logic and feasibility', but... whatever.
Back to the advantages of billeting. You get to see inside the pretty weatherboard - sorry, cedar siding - houses, hear things about the town that don't quite meet the political correctness standards of the guidebook, and meet interesting new people along the way. Also, after a few days of takeout, fresh veggies and fruit are very much appreciated. As is the occasional wine cooler. (Shhh!)
There's also that awkward silence at the start when you're sort of sizing one another up and trying to figure out how to play it. Do you play the straight card or grit your teeth and try for a joke? Do you wait for them to ask questions or ask them yourself? How long do you have to know someone before you're comfortable enough to drop your kids off in their pool?
We've been here a few days now, and I haven't had time to sit and write, so pardon the sudden overload.
Powell River is the kind of place that you pass through and think how pretty and peaceful it is, only it's not really on the way to anything so my logic fails. There are about 25,000 people here, an from what I can gather it's sort of like Queensland as far as average age goes, only with snowy mountains in the background and continence aids in prominent view in the local Wal-Mart., The joys of an aging population. Still, they have two Starbucks, which is two more than Rad has.
After Monday's marathon bus-ferry-bus-ferry-bus trek and the effort of being on one's best behavior (Mum, you'd be totally proud) for the initial afternoon, it's safe to say everyone was ready for some chill time.
This is where hosts can be awesome, because I guess they figured what better way to welcome a bunch of Aussies than with a barbie?
I'll say one thing about Powell River people, it may be a smallish town, but they definitely know how to throw a good party. We got burgers and awesome salad, people who weren't on Sudafed got beer (dammit!), and Christie got her cherries. Win all round, I'd say, as well as the most beautiful unorthodox rehearsal venue ever: a grassy hill overlooking the mountains, ocean and clear blue sky. Definitely beats 'random corridor' and 'men's bathroom' as experienced on previous tours.
Since it's so late in the week and by the time I post this our Kathaumixw experience will be pretty much over, I won't go on about the competitions and stuff, only to say that it was a pretty tiring week for everyone. Most days we had a comp in the morning, then a combined rehearsal in the afternoon - words can't express the amusement at hearing 400-odd singers try to follow the direction of the indomitable Fred, who was horribly enthusiastic and also kind of hilarious, even while he was encouraging us to do things to the music that would make Christie cry.
This was generally followed by an evening performance in one sweatbox theatre or another, culminating in the gala closing concert which was... kind of like the last two songs at the YAV annual concert only with many more warbling singers and seriously shameful choralography. Hundreds of voices, a predominantly grey-haired audience, and conductors who were unable to do just one run through of their songs. I'll freely admit I had my pants rolled up to the knee began-style, thankfully hidden behind the other rows.
And speaking of pants... I've learned to never judge a choir by their pantaloons. We've been lamenting our lack of a national costume while watching all the choirs sparkle and use props that look like rabbit tails and the infamous ugg/legging combo (still don't know if they left their costume somewhere or if someone thought they looked GOOD like that. But then there's a sense of relief that we don't have some epically embarrassing costume.
That being said, if anyone can pull off shiny gold satin pantaloons (think Aladdin), it would be the girls from Denmark, who incidentally -and most deservingly - won Kathaumixw's Choir of the World award. One of the ladies suggested we do a nude photo shoot (well, with just our necklaces on) to raise money like friends in her church group did (oh the wrongness of that sentence), but... yeah hell no.
There are skirts and ruffles and such galore, and it almost makes me nostalgic for the days of the opal blouse or orange scarf.
Hey, I said almost.
We did come second in one of the categories, which inspired perhaps a little more public whooping than is considered decent, but we are Aussies and I personally think we were pretty restrained. And at least we weren't stone cold bitches like some of the other groups. Actually, we're getting along pretty well for the most part, considering how different everyone is.
It's a delicate balance sometimes between being yourself and not stepping on peoples toes. Especially when everyone is tired and nervous and out of their comfort zone. At least we're all pretty much in the same position. iPods are an excellent thing sometimes, if only as a signal to people to stay away. But nobody's lost their cool in public yet. Fingers crossed it stays that way.
So... Highlights of the Kathaumixw experience? Definitely hearing some of the other choirs, and getting a sense of where we fit and what we have to improve. Being invited to a San Fran festival in 2012 by the Piedmont youth choir. Hell yes! Host family hijinks, picnics and outings and our epic lake swim (photos to come). Exploring Wal-Mart and the mall which I hold responsible for my suitcase spontaneously expanding like those little foam men you put in water. Grow Your Own Hernia. Oh, and did I mention I swam across a BIG BLOODY LAKE??
Yeah, I don't know how that happened either.
Anyhoo. We're busy soaking up the sun when we're not working our butts off, and I'm hoping to inspire a bit of tan envy when we get home. Behave yourselves and don't expect presents, my suitcase already weighs more than it should.
Peace out,
J xx
P.S. If you're still puzzling out what kids and swimming have to do with anything, Frankie says relax. It's one of those jokes we were warned not to make during the 'best behavior' speech. Like I could be anything but well spoken and well behaved. ;) Pshaw!! So I'm not going to explain, but if you don't get it, it's really okay.
No comments:
Post a Comment