Airports are funny places. Full of people trapped in one spot, most waiting for their turn to go somewhere. Full of hello and goodbye, though at the rather uncivilized time of 5am (I have heard some people *choose* to get up this early, but I'm still resolutely on Eastern Student Time), any energy people might have for long Hollywood goodbye scenes is buried under the lingering fog of sleep deprivation.
We list our stolen hours like a roll call on an honor roll of the battle weary. Three hours. Two hours. Half.
There's a point when you look at the clock and realise that there's no use going to bed. My own bedtime of late generally happens around about the time I had to wake up Friday morning, which is not at all an indication of my ability to waste time on the Internet when i should be writing essays.
A lot of people have wanted to know whether I was excited about tour this week, and honest answer was generally "not yet". The thrill of packing and plane food wore off years ago. Now that we've been here for a couple of days and have had a chance to get out into the city and look around a bit, it's still not entirely real. Nevertheless. I'm sure it will sink in eventually. I've always been a slow learner. ;)
Some things about Vancouver and the tour in general, without naming any names.
1. Never trust anyone who says they just want to go for a casual walk around Stanley Park. This leads to cliffs and blisters and is nothing like one of those sports montages where the lagging team catches up and overtakes the leaders through sheer determination. Mainly because we were too busy contemplating a spot of rock-climbing and cursing our sheep-like tendencies to bother staging a coup.
2. 16oz of coffee is not equivalent to a grande latte at Cibo. 16oz is a SOUP BOWL. Excellent for perking up post flight, not so great later with no toilets in the vicinity. Also, the ensuing chattiness freaks people out.
3. They really do say 'eh' a lot here. Also 'bud', 'buddy', and other variants. They even have it on t-shirts. (It's not the same in an Australian accent. Really)
4. Be careful about talking to strange men, even if they have candy. This may lead to conversations about stand-up comedy and how a certain film industry has created unrealistic ideals about a certain act (I'm trying to keep this clean for those of you who might be parents). It will at least make for an interesting story later, and - double bonus - there's maple candy. Which is possibly the best thing ever.
Anyway. I did actually have a direction in mind for this post, but I seem to have gotten lost somewhere along the way. Turn left at Ramble St and head down to Nonsense Avenue. Those of you who don't know me can blame the Tylenol Forte. Those of you who do... you should know better than to expect succinctness.
The long and, well, long of it is; we are safe, relatively intact and hopefully all having a great time. Or at least I know I am, and haven't heard anything to the contrary. Nobody's been arrested yet, at any rate.
Over and out,
J x
No comments:
Post a Comment